Thursday, December 3, 2009

Time to go

It's always a sad day when I'm down to the last bit of shake of a tea. It's my snowbud's last day, but its vegetal sweetness is still crisp and resreshing in the early morning hours before the sun gets too intense.

I woke up on the roof this morning to a beautifully radiant yellow-orange sun breaking through the morning clouds. Last night was my last here in Accra and Joe, Alex and I hauled our mattresses up to the highest part of the roof to bask in the cool night air that is simply unattainable in our thermally efficient rooms. We spent the night with the other guys of the floor at the closest bar, Tyme-Out drinking ber and shooting pool, reminiscing on the time we've spent here.

I still can't believe that it's over. It seems to be ending all too quickly, and as each day passes I can't decide whether I'm happier to see everyone back home, than I am sad to be leaving what has been my home for the past four months. I'm most definitely excited to get back home, but Ghana will always be a part of me, and It'll be strange not to step out on my balcony each morning and see the women setting up their fruit and bread stands, or not be able to hand off my dirty clothes to the any-work boys downstairs when I need a good cleaning job.

In any case, my snowbud in its final infusions tastes just as good as the first. Its liquor is yellow-green, and its taste subtle but relaxing and without any hint of astringency or bitterness. I like my balcony, and it's treated me well in my writing, reading and tea drinking. I've had a lot of time to think and grow on it, and it may be what i miss most about Ghana.

It's time to go now though, as I slurp the last bit of snowbud from my cup. My last final is at 3:30pm, then I'm off to Burkina Faso for a week, and then back to the good ol' USA. It'll be quite the culture shock I'm sure, but I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment